Analysis of Cosmetics
The Cosmetics Directive requires that the ingredients of cosmetic products are declared on the packaging. In addition to this, special claims can be made for certain ingredients.
Furthermore, according to the Cosmetics Directive several classes of ingredients such as preservatives, UV filters or hair colors are permitted only up to certain maximum concentrations.
This defines three main aspects of cosmetics that necessitate analytical investigations.
Besides developing and validating instrumental analytical methods for the testing of cosmetics, Institutes Dr. Schrader perform the following investigations:
- Determination of chemical and physical UV filter substances in sunscreens and photo stability tests
- Testing and determination of preservatives
- Testing and determination of skin care substances
- Determination of vitamins (also in dietary supplements)
- Determination of hair colorants
- Testing for impurities
Other analyses performed in our company are:
- Analysis of products on the market (declaration verification)
- Testing according to § 64 LFGB (cosmetic products, consumer goods)
- Testing according to DFG standard methods (e. g . detergents and cleaners)
- Testing according to DGK test methods (e.g. cosmetic raw materials)
- Enzymatic assays
- Titrations / two-phase titrations
- Rheological measurements
- Determination of physico-chemical parameters:
dried residue, density, refractive index, pH value, etc.
In the context of cosmetic product development we offer the following services:
- Analysis of raw materials used in cosmetic products
- Stability tests
- Preparation of test instructions and product specifications